Another exciting thing to get in spring at the markets: rhubarb! It’s bright, colorful and very tart. Its stalks look like celery but are considered “fruit” and are used in pies, cakes, jams, sauces and chutneys. Today I quickly poached it in sugar and mixed with strawberries and greens for this salad!
Rhubarb and Strawberry Salad
- 1/2 rhubarb stalk, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 strawberries, cut into little wedges
- 1/2 cup tatsoi (or spinach)
- A few fresh mint leaves
1. Bring 1/2 cup water and 2 Tablespoons sugar to a boil, add rhubarb, cook for 1-2 minutes, turn the heat off and let sit while assembling the rest of the salad.
2. Mix greens with cut strawberries, top with rhubarb, a few tablespoons of the compote liquid and some fresh mint leaves.