In my attempt to spring clean my kitchen pantry, I used leftovers from a bag of bean soup mix that includes: Pinto Beans, Small Red Beans, Pink Beans, Red Kidney Beans, Great Northern Beans, Baby Lima Beans, Large Lima Beans, Blackeyed Peas, Small White Beans, Black Beans, Whole Green Peas, Yellow Split Peas, Green Split Peas, Lentils, Chick Peas and Pearl Barley.
The dish itself was inspired by my favorite recipe from our travels in Greece last fall, the pea and bean fava.
16 Bean Dip
- 1 cup dry bean mix
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil plus more for serving (about 1/4 cup)
- Salt to taste
- 1 shallot, peeled, thinly sliced
1. Soak the beans in a bowl with water for 6 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse.
2. In a pot over medium-high heat, combine 3 Tbsp oil or ghee with onion and garlic and stir until soft and start to golden. Add the beans, cover with 3 cups of water and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and cover the pot. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until very tender, about 60-90 minutes. Salt to taste, take off the heat, let cool.
3. Puree in a blender, taste and add more salt as needed.
4. Serve topped with a generous drizzle of olive oil and thinly sliced shallots. Enjoy as a side, an add-on to a salad or grain bowl, or as a dip with veggies and chips.