This is so colorful I nicknamed it the “confetti” salad! Let’s be honest, we need some visual excitement when it comes to Brussels sprouts. Not many people in my life like this vegetable, but it’s because they haven’t tried it raw yet! Frozen sprouts steamed or boiled would also be the very last thing on my wishlist. If I have fresh (and only fresh, please don’t buy frozen!) Brussels on hand, I’d either roast them with butternut squash, pork belly, sage and thyme, or use them raw in a salad. It doesn’t work for everyone: if you have tummy problems from eating raw cabbage, maybe go the roasting route, you won’t regret it!
Why even bother? Well, Brussels sprouts are meant to be very rich in vitamin K which promotes bone and cardiovascular health!
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- 1 cup shredded (4 buds) Brussels sprout
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/4 cup edamame
- 1 Tablespoon raw pumpkin seeds and/or hemp seeds
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt + pepper to taste
1. In a small bowl, stir together apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, and oil. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Mix Brussels sprouts, carrots, cabbage and edamame, drizzle with the dressing.
3. Serve immediately topped with seeds of your choice. Enjoy!