What’s so good?
Radicchio (pronounced ra-dEEk-yo) is a gorgeous red, purple, pink and white Italian chicory. I’m on a quest to add more bitter flavors into my meals, because I heard recently that eating bitter food stimulates enzyme production and bile flow. They’re also supposed to help to detoxify your liver, which in turn controls cholesterol levels, regulates hormones, cleans the blood, and burns fats. That’s a lot of reasons to get excited about radicchio! Did I mention it looks amazing too?
*Tip: soak radicchio in ice water for 15 minutes to remove some of its bitterness.
Radicchio Caesar Salad
- 1/2 small head of radicchio
- 1/2 cup spinach or lettuce
- 1-2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Caesar dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 Tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1-2 anchovies
- 1/4 cup olive oil
1. In a food processor, blend garlic, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and anchovy. Slowly add oil 1 Tablespoon at a time and blend until desired consistency.
2. In a bowl, add radicchio and lettuce or spinach, toss with the dressing. Serve and top with Parmesan.