Let’s meal prep together this fall! I’ve just published a video on my Youtube channel where you can watch me prepping for a week of healthy meals, and now I want to give you some of the highlights here, on the blog.
Why Meal Prep?
- It’s FUN! At least for people enjoying cooking, planning and organizing.
- It saves you time: you cook once for a week of ready or semi-ready meals!
- It saves you mental energy: you already have a plan for a week ahead, no need to worry about cooking and grocery shopping every day.
- It makes it easier for you to stick to your health goals and avoid accidental fast food lunches and extra snacks.
This week we’ll need:
- Dry chickpeas
- Red lentils
- Carnival squash
- Sweet potatoes
- Honeynut squash
Let’s Meal Prep!
First, I’m going to bake the veggies and cook the legumes:
- Soak the chickpeas overnight, then rinse and cook.
- Sort, rinse and cook lentils.
- Cut clean cauliflower into florets, spread on a baking sheet, sprinkle with ghee or oil, season and roast at 470F.
- Cut clean carnival squash in half, scoop out the seeds, slice the squash, add to a baking sheet, sprinkle with ghee or oil, season and roast.
- Cut clean sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, sprinkle with ghee or oil, season and roast.
- Cut clean honeynut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, sprinkle with ghee or oil, season and roast.
- Clean and dry beets, remove the leaves, trim the ends off, slice in quarters, sprinkle with ghee or oil, season and roast.
Ready-to-eat Recipe Ideas.
The actual meals I made using the ingredients we prepped above:
- Sweet Potatoes with Chickpeas, Goat Cheese, Bacon (optional): soften roasted sweet potatoes with a fork, top with chickpeas, sprinkle with goat cheese and bacon.
- Honeynut Squash and Cauliflower Soup: using a spoon, scoop flesh out of the roasted squash, blend with roasted cauliflower, coconut milk, season to taste, serve topped with a choice of sour cream, goat cheese crumbles, and/or bacon.
- Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry with Shrimp: cook shrimp in coconut milk with curry spices, cumin, salt, add roasted cauliflower, chickpeas, serve with baby spinach leaves.
- Turmeric Dal: cook diced onion and garlic in coconut milk with turmeric, add lentils, season to taste, serve topped with a choice of seeds, nuts, spices.
- Carnival Squash and Beet Salad: top baby kale with roasted squash, beets, lentils, and goat cheese.
Want more meal prep ideas?
I’m currently hard at work on the Papaya Monthly Eatbook – 30 days of seasonal meals and food inspiration. Sign up now to get notified when it’s launched!