Cauliflower has never been an ingredient I’d actively seek out. I get it occasionally for late fall sheet-pan veggie bakes, or as a crunchy addition to fresh salads. I even toyed with a romanesco kinds once turning it into an edible Christmas tree. But lately, I’ve been noticing its white, purple and even orange heads on the grocery stores’ shelves more often and got inspired to experiment beyond the “steam-and-serve” approach.
Today’s lunch is savory cauliflower waffles made without any flour (gluten-free!) or sugar – find this simple recipe below! I wonder if using green, purple and orange cauliflower heads for this would yield naturally colored waffles or if the heat would make them all fade…? I don’t think I’m done experimenting with this vegetable just yet! Stay tuned.
Savory Cauliflower Waffles
- Makes 6
- Equipment: Waffle Maker
- 1 medium head cauliflower, grated (5 cups)
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons grated cheese (mozzarella or cheddar)
- 1 teaspoon ground garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat and grease your waffle maker.
2. Use a cheese grater to grate cauliflower florets and stems into a bowl.
3. Stir in eggs, cheese, garlic and salt.
4. Scoop about 1/2-2/3 cup of the cauliflower "dough" into the waffle iron, cook until golden-brown.
5. Gently remove from the waffle maker, serve hot.
6. Optional toppings: chopped scallions, fried or poached eggs, sour cream, ham or prosciutto. Enjoy!