I wanted to bake something fruity, summery, and colorful — but I also wanted donuts. To compromise, I came up with this idea for pear doughnuts with blueberry glaze. All it takes is one ripe pear for sunny orchard flavor, a bunch of blueberries, and 15 minutes of kitchen time!
Pear Doughnuts with Blueberry Glaze
- Baked Doughnuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe pear, peeled, seeds discarded, pureed
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Butter for greasing
- Doughnut pan (like this one)
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F, grease the doughnut pan with butter.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk in milk, sugar, egg, oil, and pureed pear. Combine thoroughly.
3. Fill a pastry bag with the batter (or use a zippered plastic bag and cut one of the bottom corner tips off with scissors before piping) and fill each doughnut pan mold two-thirds full.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool the doughnuts on a rack for at least 20 minutes.
5. Prepare the glaze: In a blender combine blueberries with confectioners sugar. Add more or less sugar depending on how thick you want the glaze.
6. Dip each doughnut into the blueberry glaze, place on a cooling rack above a tray or parchment paper, and allow at least 20 minutes for the glaze to set.